Monday, December 9, 2013

Dear Government



In commemoration of the historic occasion that marks 50 years since the March on Washington and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s infamous “I Have a Dream” speech, I would like to share with you something written back in 2009.  It was just a little Facebook diatribe at the time, but I just ran across it tonight and thought it would be appropriate for these times.  It scared me to think that nothing seems to have improved at all & in fact appears to have only become worse.  I am more disillusioned today than I was yesterday, far more suspicious of all the decisions that are made by my “representatives” than I was in 2009.  We’ve come a long way, but unfortunately, not a way towards prosperity and FREEDOM.
————-
Dear Government,
I had a dream… I had a dream that one day, I could grow up to be anything I could be, and enjoy the fruits of my labors.  I work hard, don’t complain much, and pay my bills on time.  I am compassionate to others on my own free will.  I love freedom and liberty more than just about anything.  I do my honest best to never take for granted the fact that I am an American citizen and live in the best country in the world.
But lately… lately I am feeling a bit bitter.  I continue to work hard, don’t complain much, and pay my bills on time.  I maintain my compassion towards others, especially those that are enduring difficult times in their lives.  Maybe my curious nature of knowing what is going on in the world is making this time especially difficult for me, because I am a lover of knowledge.
I know what you are doing.  It isn’t hard to see.  You are taking my money.  You are taking my money and giving it to others, whether it is deserved or not.  While I work to pay my bills and live my life, others are benefitting from the fruits of my labors.  They are collecting free unemployment checks far and beyond what they are due, soon-to-be free healthcare, and free debt relief (whether they deserve/need it or not)… Why are they so much more important than me?
I don’t make a lot of money… it will take me many, many years to become rich, even by this administrations’ standards.  I work hard for it, and I don’t appreciate ANY government entity that thinks that it has the RIGHT to take and spend my money as it sees fit.
I know I am not unique, I would bet most Americans feel just like I do.  All I want is to be left alone to make or break my own success, to achieve what I can on my own merits and to enjoy my success as I see fit.
Let me keep my dream… because right now, I see it disappearing before my eyes.  I see a land where everyone thinks they deserve any and everything.  I already see personal success being demonized by every level of government.  What happened to the American Dream?
What happened to LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS?
What happened to the basic premises’ found in the Declaration of Independence?  The Constitution?  The Bill of Rights?
I picture our nation’s founders, overcoming doubt and ideas that many had feared to be crazy… I see the men and women that have died for the basic rights that we enjoy every day.  I see my future children, grandchildren and others having to endure an America that I do not recognize.  Where freedoms are limited.  Where we are told what to do, when and how.  Where we eventually succumb to the realization that the American Dream is dead.
I don’t know how to change your ways.  I don’t know how to really get through to you.  But I wish you’d stop thinking about yourselves and how to win the next election and really envision what our Founding Fathers had in store for us. You need to come to the realization that you ARE NOT POLITICAL ELITES.
I had a dream that my children would one day, grow up to be anything they could be, and enjoy the fruits of their labors.  They work hard, don’t complain much, and pay their bills on time.  They are compassionate to others on their own free will.  They love freedom and liberty more than just about anything.  They do their honest best to never take for granted the fact that they, too, are American citizens and live in the best country in the world.
Don’t kill the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment