Sunday, May 9, 2010

Tea Party Pushing Forward

I know that there will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over Bob Bennett, but he is the result of voters holding him accountable for his words and actions. He promised to only serve two terms and then went on to serve three. He voted for TARP and authored a bill to force everyone to have health insurance. These two things are cardinal sins with the various factions of the Tea Party. You must walk the walk if you want their vote, which is ultimately a good thing. If you think you know better and ignore those who placed in that position of responsibility then you run the risk of getting tossed out on your butt. Bob wasn't a flaming liberal, but he was a typical politician and I think this year every politician should be thinking long and hard about what they have done and what they are about to do.

It warmed my heart to see that just hours after my call to put the career criminals on notice the people of Utah did just that. We can no longer afford to allow power hungry elitist to spend our money on pet projects and government give aways. We need real answers and real solutions. I support Bob Gates and his realistic view of the bloated industrial-military complex. We need to cut the overhead and buy what is needed. If we want more missile subs then build more Tridents, want more ships then build more DDGs and CGs that we have already designed and work extremely well, and if you want more soldiers than equip them for today's battle. I have always wondered how we defeated the Germans and Japanese without the biggest and most advanced military hanging around waiting on the next conflict? We made choices and we shifted gears. We didn't have the biggest and the best just hanging around, but we sacrifices and worked our asses off to build it in a time of crisis. Are we scared that we are so lazy and stupid that we could figure out how to build ships in the future if a huge ass war broke out?

I know that our enemies of the future are on the rise, but we out spend them now by a huge margin which by the way is unsustainable. We need to put realism back in the picture and stop being the world's policeman for free. Are we really worried that Russia is going to invaded Germany? If that is the case, shouldn't the Germans be doing something to protect themselves other than whining. What about Japan and their Asian neighbors? Shouldn't they have to support their defense to some extent? I know that the Japanese have a Navy and are preparing themselves against the Chinese, but they aren't the only country in the region. Do we really need to be Johnny on the Spot with multiple carriers and subs ready to die for them when they don't bother supporting or building their own militarys?

I know that this is an unpopular position with many of my fellow Tea Party supporters, but you know what, I don't care. Which is really cool because this is America and I can have whatever crazy-ass opinion that I want and after spending twenty years in service to this country I am entitle to spout off. I think we have the best military in the world, but do we really need a couple of thousand flag officers? Or a couple of million civilians? Or fight wars others refuse to fight for themselves? Do we need to be ready to fight two major wars at the same time each and every day? Or could we scale back on flags, civilians, and be ready to fight one war? I want to hear your opinions on this because I am truly interested in what you all have to say about my wild @$$ ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment