Thursday, July 31, 2008

Navy Keeping It Real II

As you might have seen the Navy fired a couple of O-6's over the fire on the GW. This is typical Navy fashion and I applaud the back bone of Pac Fleet. I know that there are people out there that think the CO/XO are not responsible for some guys smoking next to flammable materials in the Engine room, but I have to beg to differ. When was the last time the CO or XO spent anytime in the Engine room? How often did the Engineer make rounds in his space and report the goings on to the Skipper? How about the senior enlisted leadership, were they not trained to find and correct safety hazards? What about all the other officers in the wardroom, were they not trained to find and correct safety hazards? All I can say as obviously not and that is the CO/XO's job. I can see the point that they may not have personally seen the hazard, but that still doesn't let them off the hook because they are responsible for training others do spot the hazard. I also have a hard time believing that this was an isolated incident or that this was a short term issue.

AF and Army are you taking notes. This is a very bad thing, but the legs on it are very short. If you don't agree that this was the right thing to do let me hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment